Thanks to my loving grandma, I am now privileged to know how to make homemade egg noodles. They are really easy to make. All you need is some time, ingredients and pasta maker.
Recently, she invited me to help her and together we made some great homemade egg noodles. Later on, I came on to the idea to share the recipe with other people. My grandma agreed to help me, and now I can give you the detailed recipe for making homemade egg noodles.
Try this recipe. Noodles taste better if homemade. Grandma approved.
Ingredients Needed to Make 1 Kilo of Homemade Egg Noodles
For my grandma egg noodles recipe, you’ll need only two essential ingredients:
- 1 kg of white wheat flour – Dough made from this kind of flour is more elastic, and it’s far better to shape.
- 10 chicken eggs – Try to get organic eggs from free-range chickens. Those eggs have higher nutrient content and far less chance to contain dangerous bacteria’s such as salmonella.
These amounts of ingredients are for making 1 kg of egg noodles. For smaller portions, you will need to accordingly lower the amount of flour and eggs.
How to Make Homemade Egg Noodles From Scratch
Follow this simple steps and you’ll be able to make your own homemade egg noodles in no time.
- Use cooking scale to measure 1 kg of white wheat flour and put it in a bowl.
- Now crack 10 chicken eggs on top of the flour.
- Mix and knead until the dough gets smooth. Check for visible traces of flour in the dough. Mix some more until those traces are gone.
- When you get the right mixture, put the dough in a plastic bag and leave it rest for 15 minutes. Plastic bag makes sure that the dough doesn’t create crust.
- After 15 minutes, remove the dough from the bag. It should be ready now to roll it and slice it into small pieces. After you slice the dough, lightly flour the pieces so they won’t stick later on to the pasta machine.
- Now it’s time for the pasta maker to do his job. Put sliced pieces into pasta machine one at a time, to smooth and stretch them. Repeat this until you get nice slim long strips. It is necessary that the strips are not too thick.
- When you stretch all of the pieces, leave them for drying. On a room temperature, it should take approximately 30 minutes for strips to dry well enough, so you can later cut them without any tearing. For drying you can use pasta drying rack or you can simply lay them on the table. But make sure to turn the strips to dry them on both sides.
- Once dry enough, cut the strips with a pasta machine in thin sized noodles. You just made your own homemade egg noodles. Now they are ready to be cooked!
- You can completely dry out the noodles and store them up to one month. Great for later use. Drying usually takes few hours. You should loosen them from time to time, so they don’t stick together.
Egg noodles made with my grandmother recipe are especially good if used for noodle soup. And the best thing is, that you can store the noodles for up to one month, so you can use them whenever you like.
This is just one of many ways to make homemade noodles with eggs. For instance, you could add salt or use different flour. It’s all about your taste.
Instead of pasta machine you could also use a rolling pin for making dough strips and pizza cutter or a knife to cut the strips in noodles. But I recommend you use pasta maker for better results.
Now you know how to make homemade egg noodles. Go and make some. Enjoy!
Here is the video tutorial of my grandma making noodles with this recipe. Step-by-step instructions for better understanding of how to make homemade egg noodles.
Egg Noodles Nutrition
Egg Noodles that my grandma is making are high with nutritional value and low in calories. They are full of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals like riboflavin, iron and thiamine.
In short, these egg noodles will give you a lot of energy without getting fat.
Egg Noodles And Your Health
With this recipe you can make egg noodles that are healthy and beneficial to your body. Homemade is always better.
- They are easy to digest and good for your bowel function.
- Another great thing is that they lower cholesterol level.
- This egg noodles contain no sugar or salt.
- Grandma’s egg noodles are low in fat, so they are great to lose weight.
Gluten Free Egg Noodles
Some people with celiac disease and wheat allergy are sensitive to gluten. They can experience stomach pain and diarrhea if consuming food containing gluten.
This homemade egg noodles are NOT gluten free. The recipe is made with flour that contains gluten.
If you have symptoms of gluten intolerance use gluten-free flour instead of white wheat flour that my grandma uses in her recipe.
100 Ways to Prepare Egg Noodles
- Egg noodles can be used in a variety of different food.
- You can cook them and serve plain with pasta sauce or oil added.
- Make delicious lasagna or hot noodle soup that is very quick and easy to prepare.
- Or you can simply add noodles as a side dish to your favorite food.
- Many people also like noodles served in salads or in a desserts.
- Experiment and try these egg noodles in different ways. Don’t be afraid to discover your new favorite food.
About My Grandmother
My grandma is 70 years old and she is making homemade egg noodles for the last 40 years. Every single time she is making dinner by her place, a noodle soup is a must on the menu. And we all like that.
My grandma learned this recipe a long time ago from her mother. And with years of practice she mastered the process of making noodles.
Slowly the word of her delicious pasta has spread, and now there is a huge demand for her homemade egg noodles. She is making egg noodles every single day. On an average day my grandmother makes up to 5 kilograms of egg noodles. That’s a lot! All for close and distant family members and friends. She even sells some to people, who prefer to eat healthy homemade egg noodles, instead of those available in supermarket.
Have a question or comment?
You liked this recipe? Leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.